PentaMinLa / PentaBal — a clustered basic pentatonality and prime Na tonality
Tonalibus 2f-8 penta – 2021-09 – 37
Tonalibus 2f-8 penta – 2021-09 – 38
Tonalibus 2f-8 penta – 2021-09 – 39
Scale and sound samples
You may enjoy a sound sample or tonality loop as sound mantra for contemplation or meditation, for upliftment and focusing, or simply as soothing background sound for relaxation and regeneration.
- Pentatonality matrix: The octave of a regular pentatonality includes two Reach steps, three whole steps, and no half step (or semitone). One or two consecutive whole steps frame and separate the two Reach steps. A clustered pentatonality has two consecutive Reach steps and three consecutive whole steps. Some further basic pentatonalities contain three Reach steps, at least two of them consecutive. And extended pentatonalities include a double whole step plus one or two Reach steps.
- PentaMinLa / PentaBal: The first name indicates that this is a pentatonality based on AeolDorian with the major sixth (La and Last harmonic in the series) but without second or seventh. It corresponds to Dorian, without the major second or minor seventh. The second name indicates that this extra pentatonality has a particularly balanced structure, which is vertically symmetrical.
- Step pattern: Ascending from the fundamental (tonic or Do), there is a Reach step. Then follow three consecutive whole steps. Finally a Reach step leads up to the octave.
- Scale intervals: Minor third, quart, quint, and major sixth.
- Tetra- and trichords: The lower tetra- or trichord is PentaMin and the upper PentaMaj.
- Harmonic axes: There is one axis, which is horizontal, E-W.
- Primary harmonic anchors: The fundamental or North anchor is fully present. The East and West anchor are partial, both with only their head and no legs. The contrast or South anchor is completely absent.
- Secondary harmonic anchors: There are no secondary anchors.
- PentaMinLa / PentaBal is a significant Core tonality in that it contains the heads of three corners of the sound temple. And instead of the head of the missing South or contrast anchor, it contains the the two legs of the fundamental or North anchor completing its presence.
- Penta- to hepta- and hexatonality correlation: PentaMinLa / PentaBal is most closely related to PentaCor.