PentaNaMin — an extended pentatonality
Tonalibus 2f-8 penta – 2023-03 – 67
Tonalibus 2f-8 penta – 2023-03 – 68
Tonalibus 2f-8 penta – 2023-01 – 60
Scale and sound samples
You may enjoy a sound sample or tonality loop as sound mantra for contemplation or meditation, for upliftment and focusing, or simply as soothing background sound for relaxation and regeneration.
- Pentatonality matrix: The octave of a regular pentatonality includes two Reach steps, three whole steps, and no half step (or semitone). One or two consecutive whole steps frame and separate the two Reach steps. A clustered pentatonality has two consecutive Reach steps and three consecutive whole steps. Some further basic pentatonalities contain three Reach steps, at least two of them consecutive. And extended pentatonalities include a double whole step plus one or two Reach steps.
- PentaNaMin: The name indicates that this is a pentatonality consisting of the first primary Na(tural) harmonics or overtones along with the upper tetrachord being PhrygAeolian, i.e. containing the minor sixth in addition to the initial pitches in the Na series.
- Step pattern: Ascending from the fundamental (tonic or Do), an augmented Reach step spanning over four semitones leads to a regular Reach step. Then follows a half step. Finally two whole steps lead up to the octave.
- Scale intervals: Major third, quint, minor sixth, and minor seventh.
- Tetra- and trichords: The lower trichord is TetraNa and the upper tetrachord is PhrygAeolian.
- Harmonic axes: There is one axis, ES-WN.
- Primary harmonic anchors: The fundamental or North anchor is partially present with its head and right leg. The East anchor has both legs but no head, the West anchor only its right leg. The contrast or South anchor is completely absent.
- Secondary harmonic anchors: There is no secondary anchor.
- Penta- to hepta- and hexatonality correlation: PentaNaMin is equivalent to HexaProMin without second or to ReachMin, ReachNaMin, IonAeolian / ClusterBal, or LydAeolian / HeptaNa without second and quart or tritone. And it is closely related to PentaNa / PentaPro, PentaBluNa, PentaNaReach, and PentaNaMix, as well as TetraNa.