ReachNaMin — a Reach heptatonality
Tonalibus 2b-5 reach – 2023-01 – 68
Tonalibus 2b-5 reach – 2021-09 – 53
Tonalibus 2b-5 reach – 2021-09 – 54
Tonalibus 2b-5 reach – 2021-09 – 55
Scale and sound samples
- Reach or harmonic tonality matrix: The octave includes one or exceptionally two (double harmonic) Reach steps (augmented seconds) framed by half steps (or semitones) or exceptionally by a whole and a half step. There are either three whole steps or exceptionally just one. If three of them, they are in most cases either a pair and a single one separated by the third half step, or a trio framed by half steps. Exceptionally though all three whole steps are singles. When a trio of consecutive whole steps, they are preceded or followed by two consecutive half steps. The total number of half steps is three, or exceptionally four with two (double harmonic) Reach steps.
- ReachNaMin: The name indicates that the lower tetrachord is ReachNa and the upper PhrygAeolian.
- Step pattern: Ascending from the fundamental (tonic or Do), a half step leads to a Reach step. Then comes a whole step followed by two consecutive half steps. Finally two consecutive whole steps lead up to the octave.
- Scale intervals: Minor second, major third, tritone, quint, minor sixth, and minor seventh.
- Penta- and tetrachords: The lower pentachord is ReachNa and the upper tetrachord is PhrygAeolian.
- Harmonic axes: There are three axes, one vertical and the other two tilted at a right angle to each other: N-S, NE-SW, and ES-WN.
- Primary harmonic anchors: The fundamental or North and the contrast or South anchors are both partially present with their heads and right legs only. Also partially present are the East anchor with both legs and no head, and the West anchor with its right leg only.
- Secondary harmonic anchors: There is one secondary anchor, NE. It strengthens the contrast or South anchor and in a lesser, regressive way the East anchor.
- ReachNaMin is a secondary Na tonality. It helps beyond the full Na tonalities progression, as for instance in the Na modulation path to Mixolydian or MajReach depicted below.