PentaPro / PentaNa — a Pro tonality, Na tonality, and extra pentatonality
Tonalibus 2f-8 penta - 2021-09 - 46
Tonalibus 2f-8 penta - 2021-09 - 47
Tonalibus 2f-8 penta - 2021-09 - 48
Tonalibus 2f-8 penta - 2021-09 - 49
Scale and sound samples
- Pentatonality matrix: The octave of a regular pentatonality includes two Reach steps, three whole steps, and no half step (or semitone). One or two consecutive whole steps frame and separate the two Reach steps. An extra pentatonality can be with two consecutive Reach steps and three consecutive whole steps. Or it can be with three Reach steps, at least two of them consecutive, plus one whole and one half step. Or further, it can be with a double whole step, one or two Reach steps, one or two whole steps, plus one or no half step.
- PentaPro / PentaNa: The name indicates that this is a penta- and Pro tonality (and that the upper trichord is with the minor seventh and no sixth). As Pro tonality, the lower tetra- or trichord is PentaMaj, i.e. wihout the regressive quart. The identifier Pro stands for progressive, Na for natural harmonics. As Na tonality, all pitches are primary or secondary harmonics or overtones.
- Step pattern: Ascending from the fundamental (tonic or Do), two consecutive whole steps lead to two consecutive Reach steps. Finally a whole step leads up to the octave.
- Scale intervals: Major second, major third, quint, and minor seventh.
- Tetra- and trichords: The lower tetra- or trichord is PentaMaj and the upper is PentaMin.
- Harmonic axes: There is one axis, ES-WN.
- Primary harmonic anchors: The fundamental or North anchor is partially present, with its head and right leg. The West anchor is present without head but both legs, while the East anchor has only its right leg. The contrast or South anchor is completely absent.
- Secondary harmonic anchors: One secondary anchor is present, SW. It emphasizes the fundamental North anchor with the quint, and to a lesser degree the West anchor.
- Penta- to hepta- and hexatonality correlation: PentaPro / PentaNa is equivalent to HexaProMin and HexaProMix without sixth or to HexaMix without quart. PentaPro / PentaNa is further related to Mixolydian and IonAeolian.